Monday, March 10, 2008

Pronto? Pronto? Pronto?

So I just started a new, albeit temporary, job as a telemarketer. We sell a service that helps people clear up their credit reports. Technically, I'm a paralegal--but I don't handle law cases, and I never speak to an attorney. Basically, I think the title is just to make us feel valued.

So what is a college graduate doing working at a call center? Well, that's none of your business.

But today was my first day. Well, my first real day. Last week was an exhilarating week of training that lead to two days of "practice" sales. Meaning that we were on the phones, and anything we screwed up would politely be cleaned up by our trainer and a smile.

Not so much today.

Not that I screwed up or anything today. In fact, it was quite successful. In 8 hours I made one sale and contacted over 240 people. I left more than 185 messages on voicemail, and had two people get all the way through my spiel only to ask me to call back tomorrow. Not excruciating at all.

Not that I blame them, mind you. It's not like I won't enjoy a nice break from the monotony of 5 rings and someone ending with: "...have a blessed day." It'll be a downright joy to actually speak with a living soul who isn't questioning me up and down thinking that "I'm John from ________" is code for "why is this ____ calling my wife/girlfriend/boyfriend?!"

But either way, it's not too bad. Sure, I just spent good money and time on a college education that got me a nice job as a creative team member with a company that had to downsize two months later and has now led me to a call center that will pay me a commission or $6 dollars per hour.

Whichever comes first. And hey, it's a steady job with great hours.

Starting at 6 a.m.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Ahh the telemarketer. not only are you not paid enough for what you do but you also are hated by the entire free world. Jackpot. i am sure you speak to a lot of people who think that hanging up on you is the only success they will ever achieve. I am sure you never knew there were that many douchebags in the world. Congrats on the gig and i took your poll. so dont blame me if you cry. if you ever want to get paid what you are worth, give me a call, i will hook you up like HBO. 281-255-9250
holla at your boy.

Jess Mac said...

thanks for blogging again and being consistent.

and thanks for my link....a hole.